Saturday, June 12, 2010

Grand Plans

Maybe I've read too many cookbooks, cook memoirs and watched Julie & Julia too many times-but here goes my foodie challenge. Over the course of the next year, I'm going to make every meal in Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family & Friends.

The Rules
We're going through the book and cooking one complete meal as it appears starter, entree, sides and dessert. We're going to go in the order of the book. It is divided into seasons, so our first week's meal will be on Father's Day, the day before the summer solstice.

First Up
I need to plant a robust herb garden. Most recipes aren't that exotic but the price of herbs is ridiculous. Why complain about the price of meat when a pocketful of herbs costs $3. After the herbs I need to get new heating elements and burner catchers for my stove. I've been meaning to do that for awhile and this is just the excuse I need.

The Why
I love to cook, I love to read, I love to write, and I need a new challenge. Hopefully, this challenge will help me expand my tastes (which aren't that adventurous) while giving me new recipes that can easily be incorporated into our daily meals. I always find myself buying the same foods and cooking them in the same old way, which gets BORING. So here goes a year of taking Martha Stewart at her word because if Martha can do it, I can do it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this project. I also look forward to eating a few of these meals too. You are so right about the cost of herbs. It will add up fast and growing them at the house is a smart idea. We can get started on that project today. I have the clay pots and all we need is soil and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent plan. The problem for me has always been if Martha can do it, then I can't do it. Nothing of hers ever works for me, although I admit I only tried one project and it simply fell apart, leaving me discouraged and not loving Martha one bit. Her ingredients and craft project items are always expensive and hard to come by too. Anyway, good luck and I hope your herb garden grows quickly.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete