Sunday, August 15, 2010

Switch-A-Roo: Meal 4 Becomes Meal 3

We invited our neighbor friends John and Michael over for dinner. However, Meal 3 featured seafood and John is allergic so we did a little switching and Meal 4 (Cantaloupe Wedges with Feta Cheese; Honey-Glazed Chicken Skewers; Summer Squash and Olive Phyllo Tart and Espresso Cream Crunch) became Meal 3.

The Nerve of That Tart
Amazingly enough, I did NOT sustain a major injury while thinly slicing the squash and zucchini for the tart and I praised the Good Lord for pitted Kalamata olives so that I didn't have to do all the dirty work. The tart featured an aromatic mix of Mediterranean herbs that were surviving in my sad, slow-growing herb garden.

That's Not What Martha Said
Due to my inability to properly cut raw chicken thighs into thirds, I deviated from the recipe and placed the chicken thighs in a Pyrex baking dish. After a short internal debate, I followed the directions for the skewers and poured the rest of the marinade over the chicken thighs. I wrong. Because of the amount of extra marinade, the chicken didn't really roast or carmalize. Instead, they were incredibly tender and juicy without much flavor. Oh well, next time I'll make skewers like I was supposed to...

Fruit and Cheese
Interesting combination, but I still don't like cantaloupe that much. Besides, there isn't really much to say about the wonderful combination of salty cheese and sweet fruit.

The Dessert That Keeps You Up at Night
This dessert is one instance that using freshly made whipped cream makes all the difference in the world. It was one of Rick's favorite desserts - ever. The recipe is a little stingy with the chocolate-covered espresso beans, so I added more. That might be why Mom, Rick and I all had trouble sleeping.

All in All
I was somewhat relieved when the company couldn't make it. The chicken was too disappointing. However, I did enjoy the meal with Mom and sent her home with a plate for Dad.


2 comments:

  1. How could anyone possibly cut raw chicken thighs into thirds? I have never heard of such a thing. Did Martha provide any explanation of the proper procedure? I love your blog and I think it's great that you're doing this, but once again, I have a problem with Martha saying to do something that's just too difficult for ordinary mortals to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dessert was nice. Mighty nice! I really don't think it was the extra beans you used that caused me not to sleep well. Sleep is a rare treat for me so all coffee desserts are welcome.

    ReplyDelete